Private Pilot Licence - PPL(H)
Providing flight instruction to train the student pilot to act as pilot in command of a helicopter.
There are no pre-entry requirements for the PPL(H) course. However, before flying solo a student must:
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Hold a valid medical certificate issued by a CAA Medical Examiner – Minimum Class 2.
- Have completed the relevant Emergency Drills training.
- Have English language proficiency equivalent to at least ICAO Level 4.
Requirements for an EASA PPL(H)
- A minimum of 45 hours’ flight time is needed to complete the course. However, please allow additional flight time for budgeting purposes. For those with a PPL(A) this can be reduced by a maximum of 6 hours.
- The total flight time will include 10 hours’ solo time, including 5 hours’ cross-country with a 100 nm cross-country land away at two airfields.
- At least 35 of the 45 hours’ flight instruction must be completed in the same type of helicopter as is used for the Skills Test.
- Students must be 17 years of age to qualify for their PPL(H).
Ground School Subjects
Written exams are multiple-choice with a pass mark of 75% in the following subjects:
- Air Law
- Operational Procedures
- Human Performance
- Flight Performance and Planning
- Aircraft General
- Principles of Flight
All study material is available through Elite. Study is generally on a self-study basis but any help required can be given by your instructor as private tuition.
Your flight test will test your general handling skills as well as your navigational skills and general knowledge of the aircraft you are flying for your test. Flight time will be approximately 2 hours’ duration with the Examiner. The flight test must be carried out within 6 months of completing the flight instruction.
Keeping your licence current
Providing PPL(H) holders have completed a minimum of 2 hours’ flying on type in the previous 12 months, they will have to sit an Annual Proficiency Check per type, unless aircraft are grouped.
If PPL(H) holders have not met the criteria outlined above, they possibly will require additional training and then a Proficiency Check. This does depend on the date of the last flight and test.
Please call for further information.
How Much Does It Cost?
If you have any questions and want to know the prices, please feel free to get in touch.